Thursday, March 13, 2014

Predictions for 2014: Formula One Revisted

At the end of 2013, I did a series of predictions for the different forms of motorsports in 2014. With the Formula One season beginning this weekend and first practice has just commenced, I thought I'd revisit those predictions and add a few while also editing what could have been some instances of the egg nog talking.

Here are the fourteen from late, last year.

1. Sebastian Vettel's Winning Streak Ends at Nine
I feel good about this one.

2. Vettel Is Still The Championship Favorite
Qualifier: As long as Red Bull and Renault work out all the kinks by the time the teams start the European races.

3. Romain Grosjean Will Win A Race
Qualifier: Unless he switches teams, Lotus-Renault miraculously work out all the kinks or a monsoon takes out twenty cars.

4. Pastor Maldonado Will Cement His Role as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in Formula One
Feel good about this one. In his defense, the Lotus-Renault isn't in his favor.

5. Nico Hülkenberg Will Score a Podium
I feel good about this one and if I had some egg nog I might even say he will get a victory.

6. Caterham or Marussia Will Score a Point in Formula One
I feel good about this one and won't be surprised if it happens at Melbourne this weekend.

7. Pirelli Will Continue to Struggle To Provide A Reasonable Tire But Expect Them To Stay For 2015
I was right about them staying, the quality of the tire has yet to be seen but I think the teams will have more to worry about when it comes to technical components of the cars.

8. The Grand Prix of America in New Jersey Will Happen For 2015
Your guess is as good as mind but I assure you Long Beach won't be on the 2015 schedule.

9. India, Korea and Mexico Do Not Return For 2015
Remains to be seen but I will stick by my guns.

10. Daniel Ricciardo Will Have Success But Won't Win
I stick by him not winning. Success to him may just be completing races at this point.

11. McLaren Will Score a Podium and May Even Get A Win
Not only do I feel sure they will podium but I definitely think McLaren will get a victory.

12. A Team Other Than Red Bull and Mercedes Will Win A Pole
I feel good about this one.

13. Williams Will Score More Than Five Points By the Start of the European Season
I think Williams will score more than five points at Melbourne.

14. Abu Dhabi Will Not Be Double Points
A man can still dream right?

Here are some additional predictions

15. Felipe Massa Wins a Race

16. Mercedes Has The Upper Hand

17. We Will Not See A Team Added For 2015
All those rumors of Gene Haas, Colin Kolles and Zoran Stefanóvic fielding teams will not come to fruition.

18. Ferrari Will Find Their Groove By Monaco

19. The Russian Grand Prix Will Happen

20. Honda Will Have Kimiya Sato (no relation to Takuma) Number by the End of the Year

21. No One Has A Clue What is Going to Happen. Not Even Me