Friday, May 9, 2014

Musings From Two Days of Grand Prix of Indianapolis

I normally try to avoid doing this during a race weekend but it's May and I can't resist.

1. I wasn't a supporter of a road course race at Indianapolis and I am still not sure I am. I want the race to be as exciting as it can be but maybe it's how I originally viewed the race: As a last resort. As a "we can't go anywhere else (road course or oval) so our only option is to run another race is the backyard. You can only have so many races in your backyard. I'd still like to see IndyCar take advantage of Indianapolis Raceway Park (now known as Lucas Oil Raceway) in July and run a one-day, Friday or Saturday night short track extravaganza, paired with USAC, during the NASCAR's Brickyard weekend. After all, IRP was nothing but disrespected in losing their Nationwide and Truck races. And we all know how IndyCar runs on short tracks. It would be a phenomenal race.

2. Back to the road course. It does look really good. Ganassi Racing's Mike Hull, said it was "this is probably the best in North America." I think he was high as a kite when making that quote and forgot about Road America and Watkins Glen and Austin and Barber (which he was just at a fortnight ago) but I can forgive him. Part of me would've liked to see oval turn one be used but I can live considering the cars are still reaching about 195 MPH when entering turn one. Imagine how fast they'd be if they were slingshot out of oval turn one?

3. I actually want Formula One to return to Indianapolis now (And I am not talking about the ridiculously radical way I thought of last year. I am talking about another grand prix). I don't know why but I think the race would be better this time around. Now whether the Speedway would make money is still another story.

4. Helio Castroneves and Roger Penske are grasping for nostalgia as they go for their fourth Indianapolis 500 victory together. Pennzoil will return to the side of a Penske car and the Yellow Submarine returns to Indianapolis. It's a good looking car and I am glad it is back but you know what would be great? Pennzoil committing to a full-season and not just a spring fling. Same goes for Dollar General, Century 21 and any other sponsorship. Easier said than done I know but it's part of IndyCar's identity crisis. Indianapolis 500, people want to be involved. The Verizon IndyCar Series, people are hesitant and it's understandable. IndyCar TV ratings outside of Indianapolis isn't great but the series can't grow on one event. It needs 18-20 strong events. If only there was a way to convince sponsors to see that and get more involved.

5. I said it after St. Petersburg, I said it after Barber and I will say it after qualifying today. Drivers should not be penalized the same in the wet as in dry conditions. Today, Ryan Hunter-Reay lost the back end exiting turn fourteen, hit the wall, caused a red flag and lost pole position. When drivers are on the limit in less than ideal conditions, they shouldn't be penalized as harshly, especially for something that would most likely never happen in the dry. You think Hunter-Reay spinsexiting turn fourteen while entering the front straightaway in the dry? Think again. This was an incident that solely came down to a wet track and cost the #28 DHL Andretti Autosport Honda a valuable point and we have seen how valuable one point can be in IndyCar.

6. IndyCar has been mother nature's bitch through three of four races. Let's hope this trend doesn't continue for the next two weeks as everyone prepares for the Indianapolis 500. Don't get me wrong, the wet weather is great for road and street courses but ovals, especially Indianapolis Motor Speedway don't need any wet sessions. Especially with Brian Barnhart working in race control again. He'll throw the green flag in a hail storm if we are not careful.

7. Next year's Grand Prix of Indianapolis need Pirelli World Challenge. It would be another great addition to the weekend.

8. Looking forward to the race tomorrow. This has been an odd weekend with practice on Thursday, qualifying Friday and race on Saturday. It's been nice because you get cars on track sooner but Thursday felt like Friday from the start and that's not always a good thing.