Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Theorist In Me

If you are a conspiracy theorist, this post is for you.

I am normally even keel. I try not to (and I think never actually) make nonsensical, wild predictions just because I want to see something happen. Whoever, I will throw my two cents out about a subject point out that if IndyCar took advantage of a situation it could be beneficial.

With that said, when I see things happen, I do try to put piece together with something that could not have been made public yet. It's instinctual but I don't go wild throwing them out there. I keep them to myself and try to piece together why it makes sense and why it doesn't.

For example: About a month ago, I threw out the idea of IndyCar going to Charlotte Motor Speedway if Charlotte Motor Speedway is selected as host of the Summer X Games from 2014 to 2016. Now, that mostly likely won't happen but something recently came to my attention that makes me think IndyCar and the X Games could be together, except not at Charlotte.

Charlotte is one of four cities bidding for the X Games along with Chicago, Detroit and Austin. The Detroit bid is being backed by Cleveland Cavaliers owner and Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert. Quicken Loans was a presenting sponsor of the IndyCar Dual in Detroit. The potential event grounds for an X Games in Detroit has not been announced but I wouldn't rule Belle Isle out as an option.

Now here comes the theory: The Summer X Games, which is normally held in late-July/early-August, would be held at Belle Isle with IndyCar and United SportsCar Racing. Here is why: IndyCar needs an off week in June. With the sports car merger, Belle Isle could lose their race to make room for teams going to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. IndyCar might do away with doubleheaders. To keep sports cars at Belle Isle the race moves to the open gap in either July or August and there is a four day event at Belle Isle featuring X Games, sports cars and IndyCars.

Here is where that theory gets interesting: Belle Isle's move would open up the date after the Indianapolis 500. The Milwaukee Mile could move back to it's traditional date with Father's Day weekend off before the series heads to Iowa.

In my "Halfway Through 2013, Halfway to 2014" post I throw out the possibility of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series going to Road America in June with the Nationwide Series and moving the Sonoma Cup weekend to the Chase in place of Dover. Looking back on that thought, it would put the NASCAR race a month after the IndyCar race at Sonoma. Another theory: The IndyCar Sonoma race moves to early/mid-March, becomes the opening round with preseason testing leading-in to the race. With Sonoma moving to the beginning of the season, this opens the door for an IndyCar return to Laguna Seca in September due to United SportsCar Racing only needing one race weekend at Laguna Seca with IndyCar taking the vacated weekend. IndyCar tested at Sonoma February 27th this year and the temperature was described as "perfect." Now would it make any sense to go from potentially running Sonoma a month before NASCAR goes to Sonoma to running Laguna Seca two weeks before NASCAR goes to Sonoma? Seeing as there is two and a half hours between the tracks, maybe they each draw their own successful crowds but I don't know. It's just a theory.

These are just a couple thoughts that have come to mind. I have no idea what the heck is happening. I just try to see if two and two are going to make four and if I might be on to something. It's worth a shot. Oh well. If you're a conspiracy theorist, enjoy. If you're not, then you probably don't care about this post at all.