Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Man Can Dream, Can't He?

As thrilled as I am for Formula One in the states, I have one thing I would like to admit. I wish these were the days of one-off privateer or third car one-offs for grand prix like this. There are so many deserving guys here in the States that get over looked by the European Formula One teams.

It would be interesting seeing Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon, Will Power and Ryan Hunter-Reay get a shot. I am sure Sebastien Bourdais, Takuma Sato and Rubens Barrichello would not mind a one-off back in Formula One. JR Hildebrand tested for Force India a couple years ago and Josef Newgarden had success in Europe before coming back to the States. It's been almost a decade since Justin Wilson raced for Jaguar.  Boy I would love to see him get a second chance. Who would be against seeing Alexander Rossi and Esteban Gutiérrez make their debuts in a one-off in what is practically a home race for the both of them?

Sadly this is only a dream. Sure a third car rule could be put in place for a race like this but in all honesty, who the hell wants to drive a third car for HRT? Besides, it would probably turn into a ride buyer frenzy with Ma Qinghua and Rodolfo González filling seats.

I am not saying the stars of IndyCar could race at Austin and beat the regulars of F1. A few may shine and others would probably struggle and be towards the back of the field but I would love to see them at least get the opportunity. Mario Andretti ran a one-off in the 1968 United States Grand Prix. It was his first time at Watkins Glen and he beat Jackie Stewart for pole. His raced ended after only 32 laps but he has on Stewart's heels for most of that time. Would Power be breathing down Vettel's neck for a win or podium? It seems unlikely but nobody will ever know if it never happens.

I keep hearing people around Formula One say how important the United States is to them. As an American, I would love to see the teams step-up and run a one-off for American drivers and American based drivers but as I already have said, it will probably never happen. But a man can dream.